4Paws Insurance is the newest pet insurance company. Founded in 2017, 4Paws offers a major medical, an accident only coverage, and optional wellness coverage.
|Plans Offered||Major Medical, Wellness Options, Accidents Only|
|Where Plans Offered||US|
|Deductible Options||100, 150, 250, and 500|
|Reimbursement Option||70%, 80%, or 90%|
|Policy Limit Options||5000, 7000, 10000, and 15000 (major medical)|
|Lifetime Limits||Limits reset each year|
|Upper Age Limits||No for Accident Only coverage, however enrollment is limited to dogs 12 years and younger, and cats 14 years and younger for Major Medical.|
|Vet Exam Fees||Yes|
|Prescription food||Yes for covered illnesses and accidents|
|Waiting Periods||No waiting period for accidents only
14 days illness
14 days for knee and ligament conditions
|Customer Service||Monday to Friday 8am-5pm Eastern Time
Email, Phone Call, Facebook Messenger, Live Chat, and Twitter
|Filing Claims Options||Print form from website 4paws.in.com/claims. Then you can file claims either online website, Fax, email, or mail in claims form|
|Enrollment Requirements||No exam required to enroll, but medical records may be asked to determine pet’s baseline of health|
|Years in business||2017 – 1 year|
|30-day free look period||Yes (except New York)|
Here are 4 Paws Pet Insurance strengths:
- Offers vet exam fee coverage
- Offers optional wellness coverage
- Offers short waiting periods (14 days illness, 14 days for knee/ligament conditions whether illness or accident)
- Offers no waiting periods for accidents
- Offers prescription food coverage for covered illnesses and accidents
- Offers bilateral exclusion (does not exclude a knee condition because of previous condition with the other knee.)
- Offers coverage for some pre-existing conditions which are considered “cured”, and no treatment for those conditions for at least 6 months.
- Offers dental disease coverage
- Offers coverage for treatments from licensed veterinarians while traveling in Canada, and US territories, including Puerto Rico, Guam, and U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Offers flexible enrollment, with no health exam required before or after enrollment.
- Has an A plus established underwriter, Arch Insurance Company
Although great to have, 4 Paws does not offer the following:
- Does not offer unlimited coverage. Coverage maxes out at 15,000/year.
- Does not offer 24/7 customer service. Closed Saturdays and Sundays.
- Does not offer pre approvals
- Does not offer a mobile app
- Does not have visible customer satisfaction reviews online
- Does not have a long established history, only 1 year in the business
- Does have a $2.00 monthly fee assessed if monthly payment is selected vs annually.
A Quick Overview on 4Paws Pet Insurance:
Although the newest pet insurance company, 4Paws is backed by an A plus established underwriter, Arch Insurance Company. One of 4 Paws major advantage is that 4Paws has one of the shortest waiting periods of any pet insurance company: no waiting period for accidents, 14 days for illness, and just 14 days for knee and ligament coverage. Also, while no pet insurance will cover a pre-existing condition, 4Paws will cover some preexisting conditions that are deemed “cured”, and the condition has healed, and the pet has not received treatment for that particular condition for 6 months. Furthermore, while most pet insurance companies do not cover or offer limited coverage for prescription food, 4Paws covers prescription food to treat a covered illness. Finally, while most companies exclude bilateral conditions, 4Paws will cover the other injured knee as long as the first knee had healed for at 6 months, or 180 days. So yes, 4Paws is only a year old, and maximum coverage is 15k, but with features other companies do not cover, 4Paws may be worth considering. The future looks bright for 4Paws.
*This review on 4Paws Pet Insurance is for educational and comparative purposes only. We are not an appointed producer or an affiliate marketing partner for 4Paws.