History of Pet Insurance
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance was started in 2006 through a strategic partnership between the ASPCA® and Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group. Founded in 1997, Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group is one of the original pet health insurance providers in the US. They offer plans for accidents only, accidents and illnesses (Complete CoverageSM), and an optional preventive care options that can added to either plan at an additional cost.
Some Interesting Background facts on ASPCA:
- ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has no affiliation with the non-profit ASPCA animal/rescue shelter name.
- ASPCA Pet Health Insurance is serviced and managed by Crum and Forster Pet Insurance Group.
- ASPCA Pet Health Insurance revamped their pet insurance plans in 2016. Their accident and illness plan is called Complete CoverageSM.
Here are ASPCA Pet Health Insurance’s strengths:
- Offers Multiple Pet Discounts
- Offers short waiting periods: no waiting period for accidents, and 14 days for illnesses and knee and ligament coverage
- Offers dental disease coverage
- Offers optional preventive coverage and accident only coverage
- Offers coverage for microchip implementation
- Will consider coverage for a cured condition as long as the pet has gone without treatment and no symptoms for 180 days (ASPCA Pet Health Insurances’s view on pre-existing conditions as stated on their website)
- Offers prescription food and vet prescribed supplements for covered illnesses
- Offers a mobile app (recently implemented)
- Offers behavioral coverage
- The underwriter is rated A by AM Best Company (2018)
- Excellent customer reviews with trust pilot (9.5/10), and petinsurance review (9.0/10)
Here’s what nice to have, but not offered /or required by ASPCA Pet Health Insurance:
- Monthly premiums are slightly higher than some of their competitors
- A $2.00 monthly /quarterly fee is assessed if pet owner does not choose annual payment.
- Negative reviews easily found under the old ASPCA Pet Health Insurace plans
- Does not allow upgrades to a higher payout plan until next renewal period. If you change to a higher payout plan, plan starts all over again.
- Does not offer 24/7 customer service, however open 7 days a week
A Quick Overview on ASPCA Pet Health Insurance:
Prior, ASPCA Pet Health Insurance had varied customer satisfaction reviews online. Since new plans were revamped in 2016 to include an annual deductible and an unlimited payout option, customer satisfaction reviews have surged. In fact, ASPCA’s customer satisfaction review on trustpilot.com (9.5/10) is now one of the highest among the pet insurance companies. Furthermore, while no pet insurance will cover a pre-exisiting condition, ASPCA will no longer consider a condition to be pre-exisiting if the pet has been cured and has not received treatment or had no symptoms for 180 days, or 6 months. It is best to call ASPCA Pet Health Insurance customer service dept. and clarify which conditions meet this requirement.
In addition, ASPCA Pet Health Insurance offers one of the shortest waiting periods -no wait for accidents, and just 14 days for both illnesses and orthopedic coverage. Moreover, while most pet insurance companies do not provide or have limited coverage for prescription food and supplements, ASPCA covers this fully for covered illnesses and accidents. For multiple pet owners, each additional pet insured receives a 10% discount. Recently for a faster claims process, ASPCA Pet Health Insurance introduced a mobile app.
Finally, when we called and tested ASPCA Pet Health Insurance’s customer service department, calls were answered promptly, and each call was answered by a knowledgeable and enthusiastic customer service rep. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has greatly improved, and compared to other pet insurance companies, they have one of the most to offer. So if you are looking for a pet insurance company with a long established history, flexible and customizable plans with generous coverage, affordable wellness options, and improved high customer satisfaction reviews, ASPCA could be the one to fit your pet’s needs. Click on Free Quote from ASPCA banner link above, and check if their plans and prices would work for you.