Have you noticed the way your dog looks at you when you are eating? That cute face they give you because they want a share? It can be very tempting to give them a piece of whatever we are munching on and for the most part, this is fine. However, you should never give your dog chocolate as this is dangerous for their health and lives.
Here are a few reasons why you should NOT give chocolate/s to your dog:
Chocolate contains a component called theobromine. For humans, this is not a problem as we are able to easily metabolize it. However, theobromine is a toxic component, which could lead to health issues if not metabolized quickly. This is where it becomes dangerous for dogs because they are unable to digest it fast enough, which will lead to a buildup of toxins in their system. This is also why it is so important to have the best pet insurance in Manhattan, New York as this can help you pay for treatments.
- The Health Effects
There are many ill-effects that your furry companion can suffer from when they eat chocolate. If they only consumed small amounts, then they may experience an upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting. However, if they ate a lot of chocolate this could be life-threatening. The effects of large amounts of chocolate are irregular heartbeats, heart attacks, internal bleeding, seizures, muscle tremors, and extremely hyperactivity.
- The Treatments
Through the most affordable pet insurance in Brooklyn, New York it is possible to get the treatments that your dog needs if they have consumed chocolate. One of the most common treatments that a veterinarian will do is induce vomiting but this is only effective within two hours of your dog eating the chocolate.
Chocolate is something that you should never give to a dog but if your dog accidentally had some, a good vet can provide the treatment they need. If you would like to find out more about this or if you are interested in some pet insurance reviews in New York, please feel free to get in touch with The Insured Pet for more information anytime.