History on Figo
It’s not Fido. It is FIGO. (pronounced Fy-go) Figo got its start in 1871, which is one of Google’s tech hub facility located in Chicago, Illinois. The company, founder, Rusty Sproat, formed the company in 2013, but the first policy was first issued in 2015. Although a new pet insurance company, Figo’s underwriter, Markel Corporation is financially sound and has been around since 1930, and trades under the symbol MKL. So yes, Figo is one of the newer pet insurance companies, but what separates Figo from other pet insurance companies is Figo’s approach to high technology. With the use of the most up to date software, and tech avenues to make insurance easy and convenient for their customers, Figo created the first can- do- all app called PET CLOUD.
Here are some interesting background facts on Figo:
- Figo created an app that is capable of storing all of your pet’s data in one place, and can be accessed anytime with no paper forms needed.
- The Figo app can track reminders for shots, submit claims by snapping a picture of the paid invoice, search for pet-related services near you, communicate with Figo’s customer service team, and view past veterinary invoices. Furthermore, Figo allows veterinarians to access the Pet Cloud for their patients who have it, so they access to medical records when needed.
- To learn more about the Figo Pet Cloud( as seen from Figo Pet Insurance website), click on video to play.
|Plans Offered||Major Medical (Illnesses and Injuries)|
|Underwriter||Markel Corporation Est 1930|
|Where Plans Offered||US, Canada, Puerto Rico|
|Deductible Options||50 to 750
500 to 1500 (in some states for older pets)
|Reimbursement Option||60%,70%,75%, 80%, 90%, and 100%|
|Policy Limit Options||$10,000, $14,000 and unlimited|
|Lifetime Limits||Up to plan limits or unlimited(for Ultimate Plan)|
|Wellness Coverage||Not Offered|
|Upper Age Limits||No upper age limits|
|Vet Exam Fees||Yes (optional coverage)|
|Prescription Food||Yes limited to 6 months (for urinary crystals and dissolving gallstones only)|
|Waiting Periods||5 days for accidents
14 days for illnesses
14 days for Hips Dysplasia
6 months for knee coverage (can be waived with a healthy knee exam within one month after enrollment.)
|Customer Service||Monday-Friday 8am-7pm | Saturday 8am-6pm
Sunday 11am-3pm (text support only)
Email, live chat, twitter, text, and phone call
|Filing Claims Options||Mail, fax, email, via phone app Pet Cloud|
|Enrollment Requirements||No exam required to enroll but exam required to determine pet’s baseline of health. Exam must be within past 12 months or first exam after enrollment.|
|Years in Business||2015 – 3 Years|
The following are Figo’s strengths:
- Offers vet exam coverage.
- Offers dental disease coverage.
- Allows one upgrade during year, such as from a 10k plan to unlimited plan.
- Figo’s pet cloud app has versatile capabilities.
- Figo is the only pet insurance to offer up to 100 percent coverage (most states).
- Flexible deductible options from 100 to 750, then 750 to 1500(for older pets in some states).
- Offers flexible customer service options: Email, live chat, twitter, text, and phone call.
- Copay and deductible waived for life saving treatments.
- Can cover a second knee injury if the first knee has healed for 12 months.
- Offers multiple pet discounts, veterinary staff discount, and rescue/shelter discounts.
- Excellent customer satisfaction reviews with trustpilot(9.0/10), and rated best overall pet insurance with reviews.com.
Although nice to have, Figo does not offer/or required to do the following:
- No veterinary supplement coverage.
- Prescription food limited for urinary crystals and dissolving gallstones.
- No 24/7 customer service. Closed on Sundays.
- No wellness coverage.
- One time $9 admin fee (some states).
- A 2.00 monthly is assessed if client chooses payment from a credit card vs checking account.
- 6 month wait for knee coverage (waived with healthy knee exam within one month of enrolling.)
- Requires pet owners to take pet to vet within 48 hours of noticing symptoms.
A Quick Overview on Figo:
Although Figo is one of the newer pet insurance companies, the newness is balanced with an established underwriter, Markel Corporation. What makes Figo uniquely different from their competitors are the following: While the other pet insurance companies max out at 90 percent, Figo is the only pet insurance offering up to a 100 percent reimbursement option available in most states. Secondly, Figo waives copay and deductibles for life saving treatments, Finally, Figo offers the most versatile mobile app, the Pet Cloud, which is convenient and easy to use.
Among the pet insurance companies, Figo offers the most customer service options – you can email, make a phone call, live chat, facebook message, and even text the customer service department. We tested Figo’s customer service and called, and texted at different times. We were amazed that we received a text reply within 5 minutes. When we called twice, both calls were answered by a friendly and knowledgeable rep. In summary, Figo offers three plans to choose from, generous coverage, a mobile app, The Pet Cloud, with versatile capabilities, and the most flexible customer service options.
Notes and Disclaimers:
*This review for Figo Pet Insurance is for informational and comparative purposes only. We are not an appointed producer nor an affiliate partner for Figo Pet Insurance.