History on Figo
It’s not Fido. It is FIGO. (pronounced Fy-go) Figo got its start in 1871, which is one of Google’s tech hub facility located in Chicago, Illinois. The company, founder, Rusty Sproat, formed the company in 2013, but the first policy was first issued in 2015. Although a new pet insurance company, Figo’s underwriter, Markel Corporation is financially sound and has been around since 1930, and trades under the symbol MKL. So yes, Figo is one of the newer pet insurance companies, but what separates Figo from other pet insurance companies is Figo’s approach to high technology. With the use of the most up to date software, and tech avenues to make insurance easy and convenient for their customers, Figo created the first can- do- all app called PET CLOUD
Here are some interesting background facts on Figo:
- Figo created an app that is capable of storing all of your pet’s data in one place, and can be accessed anytime with no paper forms needed.
- The Figo app can track reminders for shots, submit claims by snapping a picture of the paid invoice, search for pet-related services near you, communicate with Figo’s customer service team, and view past veterinary invoices. Furthermore, Figo allows veterinarians to access the Pet Cloud for their patients who have it, so they access to medical records when needed.
- The voice of Figo’s Pet Cloud video, is not a professional voiceover. The voice is Figo’s founder and CEO, Rusty Sproat. Click video to play.
|Plans Offered||Major Medical (Illnesses and Injuries)|
|Underwriter||Markel Corporation Est 1930|
|Where Plans Offered||US, Canada, Puerto Rico|
|Deductible Options||100 to 500
500 to 1500 (in some states for older pets)
|Reimbursement Option||60%,70%, 80%, 90%, and 100%|
|Policy Limit Options||10,000, 14,000 and unlimited|
|Lifetime Limits||Unlimited (Ultimate Plan)|
|Wellness Coverage||Not Offered|
|Upper Age Limits||No upper age limits|
|Vet Exam Fees||Yes (optional coverage)|
|Prescription Food||Yes limited to 6 months (for urinary crystals and dissolving gallstones only)|
|Waiting Periods||5 days for accidents
14 days for illness
6 months for knee coverage (can be waived with a healthy knee exam within one month after enrollment.)
|Customer Service||Monday through Friday, 8:00am-7:00pm CST;
Saturday 8:00am-6:00pm CST
Email, live chat, twitter, text, and phone call
|Filing Claims Options||Mail, fax, email, via phone app Pet Cloud|
|Enrollment Requirements||No exam required to enroll but exam required to determine pet’s baseline of health. Exam must be within past 12 months or first exam after enrollment.|
|Years in Business||2015 – 3 Years|
So Why Choose Figo?
The following are Figo’s strengths:
- Offers vet exam coverage
- Offers dental disease coverage
- Allows one upgrade during year, such as from a 10k plan to unlimited plan.
- Figo’s pet cloud app has versatile capabilities
- Figo is the only pet insurance to offer up to 100 percent coverage
- Flexible deductible options from 100 to 500, then from 500 to 1500 for older pets. (some states)
- Offers flexible customer service options: Email, live chat, twitter, text, and phone call.
- Copay and deductible waived for life saving treatments. 100% payout coverage
- Covers a second knee injury if the first knee has healed for 12 months
- Offers multiple pet discounts, veterinary staff discount, and rescue/shelter discounts
- Excellent customer satisfaction reviews with trustpilot(9.1/10), and rated best overall pet insurance with reviews.com
Although nice to have, Figo does not offer/or required to do the following:
- No veterinary supplement coverage
- Prescription food limited for urinary crystals and dissolving gallstones only
- No 24/7 preapprovals for emergency treatment
- No 24/7 customer service. Closed on Sundays
- No wellness coverage
- One time $9 admin fee (some states)
- A 2.00 monthly is assessed if client chooses payment from a credit card vs checking account
- 6 month wait for knee coverage (waived with healthy knee exam within one month of enrolling.)
- Above average increase in monthly premiums (in some states)
- Requires pet owners to take pet to vet within 48 hours of noticing symptoms.
A Quick Overview on Figo:
Although Figo is one of the newer pet insurance companies, the newness is balanced with an established underwriter, Markel Corporation. Figo offers one of the most generous major medical coverage. While the other pet insurance companies max out at 90 percent, Figo is the only pet insurance that offer up to a 100 percent reimbursement option. Moreover, Figo waives copay and deductibles for life saving treatments, which brings coverage at 100 percent. Finally, Figo offers the most versatile mobile app, the Pet Cloud, which is convenient and easy to use.
Among the pet insurance companies, Figo offers the most customer service options – you can email, make a phone call, live chat, facebook message, and even text the customer service department. We tested Figo’s customer service and called, and texted at different times. We were amazed that we received a text reply within 5 minutes. When we called twice, both calls were answered by a friendly and knowledgeable rep. So if you are looking for a pet insurance company with flexible and generous coverage, the option to select 100 percent reimbursement, a convenient versatile mobile app, and the most flexible customer service options, including texting, Figo may be the right pet insurance for you.