History of Pets Best
In 1979, a veterinarian named Dr. Jack Stephens had to euthanize a dog because the owners could not afford the veterinary treatment. Weeks later, the dog’s owner ran into Dr. Stephens at the store and told him, “ You’re the man who killed my dog”. This encounter changed Dr. Stephen’s life forever. He immediately began a mission to develop a solution so pet owners can be financially prepared for unexpected veterinary care. In 1981, Dr. Stephen launched the first pet insurance company in North America, VPI or otherwise known as Veterinary Pet Insurance. Years later, Dr Stephens left VPI and founded Pets Best in 2005. Today, Pets Best has quickly grown to be one of the most successful and popular insurance companies in the market.
Interesting Facts on Pets Best:
- Pets Best was found by VPI’s founder, Dr. Jack Stephens.
- Pets Best is the official partner for Farmers Pet Insurance, BB and T Insurance and Progressive Pet Insurance.
- Pets Best shares the same underwriter as Trupanion, American Pet Insurance Company (APIC).
- In 2011, Pets Best is the first insurance company to offer direct deposit of claims.
- Pets Best makes list of “Best Places to work in Idaho” for sixth consecutive year.
So Why Choose Pets Best?
Here are Pets Best strengths:
- Offers short waiting periods
- Offers wellness coverage (flat $16 or $26 rate regardless of breed and age)
- Offers affordable accidents only plan ($6 for cats, $9 for dogs)
- Offers fast claims reimbursements (5 to 10 days, 2-10 days direct deposit)
- Offer 24/7 live vet helpline
- Offers dental disease coverage
- Offers one of the most affordable monthly premiums
- Offers direct vet pay
- Offers both multiple and vet staff disocunt
- Offers mobile phone app for processing claims and record keeping
- Excellent reviews on Petinsurancereview.com (9.0/10) and TrustPilotReviews.com (9.1/10)
- Offers long established 13 year history
Here’s what great to have, but is not offered by Pets Best:
- No Veterinary supplement coverage
- No bilateral condition coverage for the other injured knee if the first knee was considered pre existing
- No prescription food coverage
- No medication coverage for holistic/alternative treatments
- Has 6 month waiting period for knee coverage
- No behavior therapy coverage (only consultation and medicine coverage)
- No 24/7 customer service (closed on Sundays)
- Has a $2.00/monthly fee assessed if pet owner chooses monthly vs annual payment
A Quick Overview on on Pets Best:
Pets Best is one of the oldest pet insurance companies in America, but what sets Pets Best from its competitors is that Pets Best offers one the most affordable monthly premiums for all of their plans – major medical, wellness options, and accidents only. In addition, Pets Best offers a 24/7 live vet helpline, short waiting periods, and one of few pet insurance companies to offer direct vet pay. However, it is important to note that while Pets Best is is one of the most affordable – Pets Best does not cover prescription food, and excludes bilateral condition coverage.
So if you are looking for a pet insurance company with a long established 13 year history, affordable monthly premiums, and the insurer can pay your vet directly, click on the Get a quote banner below and see if Pet’s Best would be a great fit for you and your pet.