History of Pumpkin Pet Insurance
Pumpkin is a pet care company on a mission to make the best pet care possible fur all. Established in 2019, Pumpkin was started after its founders took a look at other pet insurance options on the market and found that they were missing one crucial component – preventative care. Pumpkin believes all parents should be able to give their pets medical care if they’re sick or hurt, and preventive care that helps keep them healthy throughout their lives.
Here are some interesting background facts on Pumpkin Pet Insurance:
- Pumpkin’s mission is to help pet owners say “yes” to the best care for their pets. Pumpkin has a 90% reimbursement rate for its insurance.
- Pumpkin offers an industry-leading preventive care optional add-on that includes things like annual vaccines, wellness exam fees, and more. Instead of just using Pumpkin when your pet gets sick, this lets you take advantage of their preventive offering even if your pet is safe and healthy year-round.
- Pumpkin insurance plans have many things that are excluded in some plans, such as sick exam fees, coverage for preventable illnesses, dental illness , and an annual deductible.
|Plans offered||One simple insurance plan that covers accidents and illnesses, plus an optional preventive care plan including vaccines, wellness exam fees, and more.|
|Underwriter||United States Fire Insurance Company|
|Headquarters||New York, NY|
|Where Plans Offered||U.S.|
|Deductible Options||$100, $250, and $500|
|Policy Annual Limit Options||$7,000 for Cats, $10,000 for Dogs|
|Lifetime Payout Limits||None|
|Preventive Coverage||Yes (optional add on)|
|Upper Age Limits||No|
|Vet Exam Fees||
Yes, for sick visits
Yes, for wellness exams if the Preventive Care option is added
|Prescription Food||Yes, for covered conditions*|
|Waiting Periods||14 days|
Monday to Friday 8 am to 9 pm eastern
Saturday 9 am to 5 pm eastern
Will respond in a day or less
|Filing Claims Options||Online, Email, and Mail|
|Enrollment Requirements||No exam required for enrollment, and medical records may be requested for claims processing|
|Discount?||10% off for each additional pet|
|Money Back Guarantee||30 days (except in NY) for Pumpkin Insurance*|
Here are Pumpkin Pet Insurance’s strengths:
- Sick visit exam fees covered
- Covers dental illnesses
- Covers behavior issues
- Covers preventable diseases
- Reimbursement based on the actual vet bill, as opposed to benefit schedules
- Offers flexible deductible options
- Offers multiple pet discounts
- Offers optional, non-insurance preventive care plan (including full reimbursement for vaccines and wellness exam)
- Offers coverage for microchip implementation
- Coverage for pets 8 weeks+
- Will consider coverage for a cured condition as long as the pet has gone without treatment and shown no symptoms for 180 days, with the exception of knee and ligament conditions.
- Offers prescription food and vet prescribed supplements for covered illnesses
- The underwriter is rated A by AM Best Company (2019)
Although great to have, Pumpkin Pet Insurance does not offer the following:
- Monthly premiums are slightly higher than some of their competitors
- No option for unlimited annual coverage. Maximum annual coverage for Dogs is $10,000. Maximum annual coverage for Cats is $7,000.
- Does not offer 24/7 customer service (however, available during regular business hours and also typically a less than 24-hour response time by email)
- If a knee or ligament condition occurs before the coverage effective date or during a waiting period, any future ones won’t be covered.
>A Quick Overview on Pumpkin Pet Insurance:
Pumpkin has one of the most extensive health insurance plans on the market. From prescription food for covered conditions to behavioral issues to dental illnesses, Pumpkin has an end-to-end plan that will help your pet live a long and healthy life. Add to that its optional Preventive Essentials Plan that includes 100% reimbursement for vaccines, a wellness exam, and more, and you have an exceptional range of coverage.
If you’re looking for a pet insurance plan that’s simple and transparent, and you just want to make sure you’re getting best-in-class coverage for your pet, Pumpkin is a fantastic option. Click on the Get My Quote button from the banner below and check if Pumpkin Pet Insurance would be a good fit for you and your pets (and remember their 10% multiple pet discounts for each additional pet).